Food, wine and trading have been defining features of Franschhoek, the Cape's French Corner, since its founding years. A group of 176 hard working and principle-bound French Huguenots including farmers, viticulturists, and artisans found this town in 1688, and their pioneering legacy lives on. These days Franschhoek boasts S.Pellegrino World Top 50 best restaurants, award winning wine estates, and cultural attractions.
The Village Market
It is only fitting that a thriving village market continues the legacy of trading weekly high quality goods in the town centre, by providing a market space for producers, traders and buyers. We have been consistently rated as one of the best markets in the Cape region, and continue to build on the work of predecessors of the market. The market is managed by mom-and-daughter team; Elsuna and Elzahn, who revived the market in 2016.
We are hiring a manager!
February 15, 2018 | Franschhoek Village Market Manager Position | Job Description
The Franschhoek Village Market is a community market located in the heart of the beautiful Franschhoek Wine Valley and is a well loved Saturday morning meeting place. It is best known as a platform for local foodies and winemakers alike to showcase their products. The Franschhoek Village market is looking for a dynamic and driven Manager with the option of becoming a shareholder.
The Market Manager is a full time position with the primary responsibility being the day-to-day operations of the market in conjunction with owner. This will include an on-site presence at the market during all market hours, as well as off-site work during non-market hours. The manager will report directly to the owner. In addition, the manager will represent the market to the market’s vendors, the visitors, and to the community.
- Diploma and/or degree in a creative industry (marketing, social media, event planning) preferred
- Ability to think creatively
- Work experience in event planning and/or marketing
- People person with skills in diplomacy
- Previous management experience an asset
- Dispute resolution skills
- Good communication skills
- Organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Passionate about the community
- Manage market staff and vendors
- Logistics for market (Saturday operations including set up and tear down)
- Quality control
- Assure the market site is left clean once vendors have left for the day
- New vendor recruitment (in conjunction with owner)
- Coordinate entertainment (in conjunction with owner)
- Community relationship development (in conjunction with owner)
- Promotional material development (in conjunction with owner)
- Social media management
- Maintain database of vendors and the products they are selling (in conjunction with owner)
- Other duties may be assigned
*Must be available to work Saturdays (at least three a month) and selected Sundays
**Flexible hours offered in the week.
To apply please send resume and cover letter to Elsuna Nel, email@example.com
Compensation is dependant on experience and will be discussed during the interview.
Saturdays a group of locals come to enjoy a game of Boules at the Franschhoek Village Market. They enjoy a glass of wine and some snacks to the backdrop of many “Ooh’s and Aaah’s"! Visitors stand around our Boules court and get caught up in the action of this traditional French game.
We taught each other the game. Once a year we have a large competition and we have about 45 teams participating. Some of the teams even come from France! - Clive Venning, regular Boules player
The Village Market expands with a greater variety of traders each year in July during the Bastille Festival. During this festival we celebrate the Valley’s centuries-old French Huguenot heritage during the annual Bastille Festival.